Steps to Transfer
The steps below will help you prepare for transferring to another institution after your time at Herkimer.
- Locate the Transfer Counseling Office and make an appointment with the Transfer Counselor.
- Utilize the transfer resources available to you:
- Use the technology-computer terminals for college searches, viewing college catalogs on-line, getting information about your major.
- College catalogs/resource materials (guide books, etc.)
- College applications.
- Identify your career path. Learn how your major relates to your career goal. Make an appointment with HCCC's Career Counselor.
- Make your advisor aware of your long term goals.
- Visit with transfer college representatives when they visit HCCC. October- Transfer College Day. Learn about pre-requisites.
- Examine specific transfer agreements we currently have with many four-year colleges.
- Begin saving all college course outlines.
- Become involved in campus activities.
- Visit potential transfer colleges at special Transfer Open House programs.
- Begin more in depth research of transfer colleges.
- E-mail or write to colleges to obtain information, catalogs, applications, etc.
- Complete your research process.
- Apply to at least 3-5 transfer colleges.
- Keep detailed records of all contacts and make copies of all documents you send to the transfer college.
- Apply early, don't miss important deadlines for scholarships or competitive transfer programs).
- Apply on-line or paper application. Seek assistance with applications from the transfer counselor.
- Obtain application fee waivers from the transfer counselor, if eligible.
- Apply for HCCC scholarships.
- Obtain all supporting documents( original high school and college transcripts, letters of recommendation). Open Career Center Placement file.
- January- submit the FAFSA form to be considered for federal need or merit-based programs.
- All documents for financial aid usually have to be submitted by March 1st for the next academic year.
- Don't assume because you were not eligible for financial aid at HCCC that you won't qualify for aid at your transfer institution.
- Follow-up promptly on all requests for information.
- Bring transfer questions to the transfer counselor including questions about transfer credit.
- Send in deposits. Apply for housing early.
- DON'T forget to send in your final transcript to the college you are transferring to.
- Try to attend summer transfer orientation and registration (bring HCCC catalog and course outlines).
- Submit your health documents early (proof of immunizations can be forwarded from HCCC's health office).
- Anticipate a different environment and be prepared.
- When you arrive at your transfer college, have the Registrar certify your enrollment to show you are continuing at that college (for financial aid purposes and loans).
- Lastly, enjoy the journey!!! Remember dreams are worth following if you start early, keep your goal in mind, and take these hints and suggestions to heart, you will be able to successfully master the transfer process.